Picture this: It’s late at night and you’re watching a favorite TV show when a commercial comes on.
An average, everyday American fills the screen and details how they’ve suffered some kind of personal injury and how their life has changed forever. Another person follows them. Then another and another. After several folks have detailed their suffering, an attorney comes on and talks about how they’ll go to battle for you if you’ve been injured. They’ll talk about how experienced they are and how they’ll fight to get you fair compensation.
At the end of it, those same Americans will talk about how the aforementioned attorney helped them settle a claim for “X amount” of dollars.
If you’ve seen these ads before and flicked by them, you might want to think twice if you incur a personal injury, especially on the job. It’s often said that folks don’t know the importance of attorneys until they need one. An attorney from a personal injury law firm might want to be considered strongly if you think you’ve got a strong case.
What’s considered a personal injury case? It’s a case where a person suffers an injury and someone else might be responsible for it. What ends up happening in most cases is that the person or company is found responsible for an injury and settles with the victim.
Some common types of personal injury cases are:
- Car accidents (about 52% of all personal injury lawsuits)
- Medical malpractice (about 15% of personal injury cases)
- Dog Bites
- Slips and falls
- Assault and battery
- Defamation (libel and slander)
Let’s face it, personal injuries can be life altering, especially if you work in a high-risk job like construction or carpentry. An injury may feel like nothing, but sometimes you can tell right away that it’s bad and may just change your life forever. You may not know it, but a personal injury on the job may entitle you to compensation.
As previously mentioned, there are usually two ways that personal injury claims go: lawsuits and settlements.
Lawsuits begin when a person formally files a civil complaint against a defendant. This essentially means that a person is alleging their injury is the result of carelessness or negligence by the defendant. That person must then be able to prove negligence on the part of the defendant.
With personal injury claims, a number of them are settled without a trial between the plaintiff, the defendant, representatives from a personal injury law firm, defense attorneys and insurance companies. Negotiations take place and a settlement is reached as well as the understanding that the plantiff takes no further legal action.
So now that you know what constitutes a personal injury case, you might wonder how a personal injury can help you. Let’s take a look at some of the benefits a personal injury law firm can offer:
- Guidance: Taking legal action, for any reason, can be daunting if you’re unfamiliar with the law. There’s a lot of paperwork to fill out and file, a lot of legal jargon to cut through and a lot of checkpoints to hit as you navigate the legal process. Accident attorneys from a personal injury law firm have dealt with lots of situations involving personal injury and can be a sort of sherpa through the legal process. They know how to talk to insurance companies, fairly access a person’s injuries and give a good estimate of what kind of compensation a person is seeking.
- Fair compensation: Those aforementioned commercials always mention clients getting hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars. Each personal injury case might not turn out that way, but a personal injury law firm can certain help each victim get fair compensation for their injury.
- Going to trial: Though most PI cases don’t reach the trial stage, but in the event that one does, a personal injury law firm can help victims navigate what’s likely to be a very trying time. A personal injury lawyer can be a tremendous shot in the arm for personal injury victims.
Suffering a life-altering injury where someone else is responsible can be horrific. If you want to pursue legal action, getting a personal injury lawyer to help you is key. They can help you every step of the way and help you get fair compensation.