Every year, hundreds of thousands of personal injury cases are filed. Between 95% and 96% of these personal injury cases are settled before trial leaving begins, which is usually the best outcome for everyone involved. The question is, if you have been injured, how do you choose among all the personal injury lawyers available? Your choice of a personal injury law firm could make the difference between winning and losing, between getting the compensation you deserve and fruitlessly spinning your wheels. Where can you find personal injury lawyers you can help you get a good outcome, and even get things settled without having to take the case to court? Here are five secrets to finding the right attorney.
- Look for personal injury lawyers who are active members of trial lawyer groups, either on the state level or nationally. Any professional who is serious about their craft collaborates with and learns from other excellent professionals in that field. It’s important that personal injury lawyers, like any sort of professional, keep up with the latest trends. What are insurers doing lately? What kind of accidents are most common these days and how are cases about them being tried? What has worked or not worked for some of their peers? These are all questions your lawyer should be asking in order to keep up-to-date. Being a member of a trial lawyer group means they are serious about doing this.
- Look for personal injury lawyers who specialize in personal injury law. Every branch of the law has its own intricacies and specializations. Rules and practices vary across legal issues and choosing a lawyer who specializes in the type of case that you need to file means you have a much better chance of getting a positive outcome. Lawyers who take cases across too many types may not have the expertise needed to navigate the intricacies of your particular case.
- Judge the book by its cover. Sort of. When you are looking at a personal injury attorneys, look for those who seem to have the resources to be serious about your case. A good personal injury attorney should have a line of credit they can use as they prepare your case. Any sort of serious personal injury case is expensive to prepare. Experts must be found and then prepared. The attorney will need time and resources to take depositions from doctors, mechanics, accident reconstructionists, and many others. Even a single case can take more than $100,000 to prepare properly. Your lawyer needs to have the resources to try your case well.
- Personal injury lawyers should be happy to let you talk to former clients. If an attorney is a good one, he or she should be very happy for you to talk with past clients they have represented for workplace injuries, construction accidents, voter vehicle accidents, or any other personal injury cases. This does not mean they will give you personal information about other people’s cases. It just means they should not be afraid to give you the names of some people they have represented in the past and permission to speak with them about their experience.
- Look for a proven history of success. As stated already, personal injury cases can be expensive and intricate. Look for personal injury lawyers with a history success. This type of information can usually be obtained fairly easily online. It also doesn’t hurt to look for attorneys whose history shows they are willing to take a case to trial if necessary. Most personal injury cases are settled out of court, but if yours should go to court, you want to know that your lawyer is willing and able to put the case in front of a jury to win.
An injury can dramatically change a life. It can mean enormous medical expenses, a loss of income, and even permanent loss of health and mobility. If you’ve been injured because of another person’s negligence, don’t hesitate to find a personal injury lawyer with the expertise, resources, and experience to help you get the help you need.