When a person gets hurt in an accident, they may need the services of a personal injury lawyer. The attorney will help the victim with investigations, reviewing the evidence, and questioning witnesses.
It’s essential to seek the services of a personal injury attorney. Most people aren’t conversant with accident case law and may not be able to represent their case themselves. Accident injury claims are tricky. Even when you are not wrong, insurance companies often require evidence and medical reports before they can grant any compensation. With a lawyer, you can take time to recover while the attorney works to gather all the data required.
In the case of an accident bodily injury claim, a lawyer will help you get fair and maximum compensation. Even if the accident wasn’t a car accident but a result of negligence or a dangerous environment, you may still be entitled to compensation.
Most law firms will offer client’s a free consultation and quote before taking on a case. It’s a great way to get to know your options. Contact an attorney if you or your loved one has been in an accident.
Most people know that they have the option of hiring an attorney for personal injury concerns of any kind, including auto accidents, medical malpractice or workplace injury. But what can attorneys actually do to help you in your case? You might not be as clear on that point. Here’s an outline of what you should expect from quality law firms:
- They’ll Help You Evaluate Your CaseMany personal injury law firms offer free consultations that you can take advantage of before deciding whether you’d like to pursue a lawsuit or another course of action. This is your chance to ask questions about how the process works and whether an attorney would be of significant value to you, so don’t be shy about asking for clarifications.
- They’ll Give You Realistic PredictionsBoth in that initial consultation and throughout your interaction with a law firm, attorneys should be helping you set realistic expectations based on their experience, not making guarantees or promises. There are times when they still may be wrong — all lawyers have lost cases they expected to win — but you should look out for anyone who appears to be purposefully inflating your hopes without explaining why they see such potential. Top law firms aren’t hurting for clients, so they won’t try to draw you in if your case is likely to fail.
- They’ll Help You Determine DamagesOne of the most difficult aspects of personal injury cases is determining how much compensation, called “damages,” you should seek. The more straightforward part of that process is adding up medical expenses, lost wages and other direct financial losses. But then you’ll need to figure out whether to seek general damages, such as pain and suffering, which can be much more complex.
- They’ll Help You Draft Demand LettersEspecially if you’re wary of getting involved in a court battle, you should know that hiring an attorney can often allow you to avoid litigation altogether. Often it’s best to draft a demand letter with your attorney and/or file a third-party insurance claim; you may be able to get a settlement without the stress, time and cost of going to court.
- They’ll Fight for You In a Court of LawIf it does come down to a lawsuit, working with a law firm ensures that you’ll have one or more trained attorneys looking out for your interests. That’s important because if a case does go that far, the other side is almost certain to have lawyers of their own, and you won’t want to handle that on your own unless you have a law degree.
What other questions do you have about hiring personal injury lawyers? Discuss in the comments.