Published on August 6th, 2016 | by Personal Rights0
If You Have Been in a Car Crash, You May Need an Auto Accident Lawyer
Have you been in a car crash that was not your fault? Every day many people are. For car accidents that involve deaths, nearly 32% of the accidents are caused by people driving under the influence, 31% are caused by people speeding, 16% are caused by distracted drivers and the weather is responsible for about 11%. There are about 660,000 people driving at any moment that are distracted by mobile devices (texting ot talking). Experts say that people cannot focus on the road for at least five seconds after reading a text. For motorists that are going about 55 miles per hour, this is the same thing as driving blindfolded for the length of a football field. If you suspect your accident was caused by something like this, you should talk to an auto accident lawyer.
1. Talk to the people in your life that you trust. Given the litigious nature of our society, there is a very good likelihood that someone you know has hired a lawyer. If they have not hired a personal injury lawyer, you can still get the names of law firms who can point you in the right direction of a good auto accident lawyer. You may not hire the same personal injury attorney but you will have a place to start.
2. Take advantage of the free consultation. The majority of law firms offer a free first consultation for new and prospective clients. This is a chance for you to get to know the law firm and for them to evaluate your case. You should bring all of your questions and make sure you get them answered. If the auto accident lawyer you talk to does not have the time to answer your questions before you hire them, they certainly will not have time afterwards. While most people think that personal injury lawyers will take on cases they cannot win, many only get paid when they win so there is really no incentive for them to do this. When you go in for the initial consultation, they will look at the facts of your accident to determine if they think you have a case that can be won.
3. Make sure the lawyer you hire has the right experience. In the same way doctor specialize, so do lawyers. When you talk to your friends and family, some may give you referrals to criminal defense lawyers or the great divorce lawyer who helped them through their cousin’s divorce. If you have been in a motor vehicle accident that was someone else’s fault, you need an experienced auto accident lawyer. They need to have handled a lot of these kinds of cases.
4. Questions that you should ask your prospective lawyers:
- What made you go into personal injury law to become an auto accident lawyer? You want the lawyer you hire to really love what they do and care about the outcome of your case.
- How long have you worked in this kind of law?
- Who will be working on my case? Often, the auto accident lawyer is just one member of the legal team that is working on your case. There may be legal assistants and paralegals working on your case. You need to know who will be available to answer your questions when and if you need them.
- What professional associations do they belong to?
- What is your track record with this kind of case?
- How long do you think this will take?
5. Make sure you understand the billing policies. Often, personal injury law firms only charge when they win a case. At least they do not charge a fee. There may be other costs involved with your case. Make sure you are completely clear on what you will be charged and when you will be expected to pay it. Every law firm has its own way to deal with billing.
When you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident and have been hurt, you have a lot of things to worry about. If you do your research, you will get the right lawyer