Published on August 9th, 2016 | by Personal Rights0
What to Do if You Get in a Truck Accident
It is always a good idea to be well informed about as much as you can be. Car, truck and motorcycle accidents are no exception. In order to make sure you get everything you deserve from an accident, you need to know as much about it as possible. There are types of lawyers that specialize in vehicle accidents and will be able to give you legal truck accident information or whatever vehicle was crashed. These attorneys are known mostly as auto accident lawyers or personal injury lawyers and while they can give truck accident information and the like, they can do a lot more for you as well. Let’s look over some things that you can accept from a lawyer when you are dealing with an accident. For the sake of this article, let’s say you were driving a Ford F150 and a Toyota Tahoe crashed into you, causing vehicle damage and whip lash.
- You will be expected to participate in the investigation. You cannot hire a lawyer and then sit back and do nothing while they gather all the necessary information. You will likely need to visit doctors and gather medical documents as well as sit through interviews. You should be ready and willing to do whatever the lawyer asks of you. Even if you all you think you need it truck accident information, the lawyer will know exactly what needs to be done and you should follow their advice.
- Your lawyer can, of course, give you legal advice. Aside from giving you tasks to complete, your attorney can answer any questions you have and give you the truck accident information that you need. Don’t be afraid to ask too many questions. If you are unclear of a certain situation or instruction, simply ask for clarification and your attorney should have no problem giving you that. However, try not to question everything out of doubt. If you don’t believe in the competence of your lawyer, then it may but a good idea to find a different one.
- Normally the lawyer will deal with the insurance companies. You may be asked to write a statement to give to your insurance but other than that, let the lawyers deal with the insurance. The reason being is that there will be representatives from both party’s insurances present during the case and if your story and your lawyer’s don’t match up then that could cause problems.
- One of the best things about hiring a lawyer is that they are fully educated and informed on the best way to fill out paperwork and to quickly get it filed. They may even be able to work the right channels to get the documents expedited to try and speed up the whole process.
- Once the documents have been filed and everything is ready to go, they will accompany you to mediation and try and get you the best deal that they can. If the other party is not willing to comply or you don’t like the amount that you are offered as a settlement then at that point the case will go to trial. However, make sure you are taking your lawyer’s advice seriously. They will be able to let you know if they think the settlement is a fair offer.
- Should the case go to trial, your lawyer will do all the talking for you. They will be your defense and it’s up to them to convince the judge and jury that you are not the at fault party and should be rewarded a higher settlement than was offered in mediation.
It’s not enough to simply hire a lawyer. There are a lot of steps in the process and you need to have all the information possible on hand. If you find an attorney that you trust, then that means you need to listen to their advice, their truck accident information and believe in their ability. Assume that the attorney is in your corner and will do everything they can for you because most of the time, this is very true. Lawyers take their job and their clients seriously and will work every angle they can to ensure a good outcome for you.