Published on December 31st, 2016 | by Personal Rights0
Find the Right Wrongful Death Lawyer with These 7 Tips
No on really wants to need a personal injury lawyer or to file a personal injury lawsuit. In 2013, it is estimated that there were about 8.4 million motorcycles driving around on American roads. That same year, motorcycle crashes killed 4,668 people according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). They found that people on motorcycles were about 26 times more likely to die in motorcycle accidents than people in cars for each vehicle mile traveled. The NHTSA reported that they were also five times as likely to be hurt. Many people who are in these crashes have cause to contact a local car accident lawyer or, in the worst case, a wrongful death lawyer.
If you are unlucky enough to need a wrongful death lawyer, you will want to make sure you get the right one for your case. Here are some tips to help you find the right lawyer for your case and situation.
- Go with a personal injury law firm. Like doctors, lawyers specialize. When you talk to personal injury or wrongful death lawyers, you need to hire one who only deals with personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits. If you go to a lawyer who also handles other specialties such as bankruptcies and divorces, you will be getting a legal expert who may not be able to get you the results that you want. You are much better off going with a person who is only a personal injury or wrongful death lawyer.
- Find a lawyer who has experience in the courtroom. It is true that nearly 96% of all cases are decided without ever going into a courtroom but you need to be ready if your case does go that route. Most insurance companies are going to do whatever they can to either not spend any money on claims or to spend as little as they could possibly get away with. To that end, they can be very aggressive. You will be able to get more from your settlement if you have a personal injury or wrongful death lawyer who has a proven track record both negotiating but also when they are in court.
- Get an attorney with a good track record. You want to go to someone who has a proven track record of success. You want to know that the personal injury or wrongful death lawyer has experience getting great settlements for their clients. Reputable law firms will have no problem giving you information about their wins for their other clients.
- Go with a lawyer who is local to you. When you are looking for lawyers, it is a good idea to go with a lawyer in your city. If, for example, you are in Los Angeles, when you do a search for a wrongful death lawyer, you should do an internet search for “wrongful death lawyer Los Angeles” to get a person near where you live. These cases are very personal and it is good to see your attorney in person.
- Get references. The best way to find out what it is like to work with a law firm is to talk to people who have already done it. Do not just ask if the references liked the law firm but ask about what they thought about the experience of working with the attorneys and other legal professionals at the firm. No reputable law firms will have any problem letting you talk to former clients about them.
- Look to law firms who are members of national and state law associations. The personal injury or wrongful death lawyers who are members of the national and state trial and law associations are good to talk to because you know they are connected to the other lawyers in the field.This means that they work with the other lawyers and are fully up to date on the changes to the rules and regulations surrounding personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits.
- Make sure the lawyer takes you and your case seriously. You want a lawyer who will fight for you. Taking your seriously is the first part of that.
If you do your homework and take some time, you will find the right lawyer.